Strawberry, Ricotta & Rosewater Muffins
- 2 1/4 cups plain wholemeal or spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- A pinch of salt
- 300mL buttermilk or natural yoghurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown or rapadura sugar OR 1/4 – 1/3 cup melted honey
- 1 25g unsalted butter, melted OR 125mL grapeseed or macadamia oil
- 1 punnet strawberries
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 tbsp rosewater
1. Preheat oven to 190ºC.
2. Line, grease or oil spray muffin tins or silicon moulds.
3. Using a whisk, combine flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
4. Cut green stems off strawberries and either halve or quarter, depending on size. Toss strawberries through flour mixture until coated.
5. In another mixing bowl, whisk to combine the buttermilk/ yoghurt, eggs, vanilla, sugar, butter/ oil and rosewater.
6. Pour wet ingredients into dry mix and fold to combine.
7. Using a spoon, dollop ricotta on mixture and gently fold through, to retain chunks of ricotta through mixture.
8. Place in baking trays and let sit for 5-10 minutes (the rising process will begin and create lovely, fluffy, moist muffins).
9. Place extra strawberry halves and ricotta as toppings on muffins, if desired.
10. Place trays in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until tops are golden and cooked through (test with a wooden skewer inserted into middle of a few muffins)